"A person who is nice to you but rude to the waiter is not a nice person." - Dave Barry

Sunday, May 27, 2012

What is this I don't even

I encountered a new kind of crazy last night.
Let's call it "you're a grown ass woman, you can control who you speak to" crazy.

We have a regular, Brandy Alexander, who comes in alone and drinks and talks to anyone and everyone who will listen, even if they don't seem interested. More often than not, it's us. So last night I was bartending and he was there. I did my best to just stay busy so I wouldn't get sucked in. A couple came in and sat right next to him even though there were plenty of empty stools; they even said hi like they recognized him.

The wife was on the left, husband in the middle, Brandy Alexander on the right. He obviously started talking up a storm, the husband didn't say much and kind of watched tv, but the wife leaned around her husband to engage in this conversation. I heard her saying things like, "Oh I'm so sorry to hear that!" and "You're a really good guy." in response to his (probably untrue) stories. She was an active member of the conversation. They talked for at least half an hour. Eventually, Brandy Alexander left. I walked by the couple and the woman said,

"Do you not even protect customers from other guests?!"

Huh? This is a grown ass woman. This is a woman capable of making her own decisions and clearly capable of speaking up for herself. She also had her husband there, he certainly didn't step in to end the conversation. She hadn't even given me a look of, "who the fuck is this guy? help!" like customers sometimes do. In that case, I help. 

I thought she must have been joking. I laughed a little and said, "I'm sorry, you looked like you wanted to talk to him." to which she responded, "I'm going to write online about what happened here tonight!" I walked away to tell my manager about this lunatic and she apparently continued to bitch at her husband, who then left a $0 tip on a $40-50 bill. This woman had chosen to carry on a long conversation and somehow I was to blame. What the fuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment