"A person who is nice to you but rude to the waiter is not a nice person." - Dave Barry

Monday, October 24, 2011

You know how I know you're an asshole?

Last night the restaurant was pretty dead. We literally had no customers outside of the bar. Then I got a walk-in party of ten. In the time it took me to go out back and pick up three salads, the dining room just about filled up. It was very busy very suddenly and the kitchen got a little backed up. I apologized to any table that had a semi-excessive wait and did what I could to make it more tolerable. Everyone was great- except for one family.

I brought bread, we paid for a round of their beers, and I checked in on them frequently and pleasantly. They were rude about the delay, but I can understand that frustration. After they were served dinner, no one had any complaints. Then my manager went over to apologize again and remind them that we were taking care of a round of drinks for them. Suddenly, the wife hated her food (which she was almost done with). My manager also comped that from the bill. They got a total of $31 worth of free food and drinks. They also had a $20 gift card. Their final bill was $12 and change. Do you know what they left me as a tip? $4. That, my friends, is how I know they were assholes.

No comments:

Post a Comment